Why one is my spirit animal and the other is not
I love WordPress (and I’m talking about self-hosted, WordPress.org not WordPress.com). If I had to pick a platform to use for the rest of my life, WordPress would be it. Now, you might be asking yourself why…
Short answer…it’s full of possibilities, and as a designer and developer it gives me access to all the reaches of my imagination – and yours.
Long answer…if you are considering WordPress vs. Squarespace, here is what you need to know.
WordPress is an “open source” content management system. That means it’s available (and free) for anyone to use, copy, or edit. The sky is the limit since it relies on the input of hundreds of people to continuously update and improve it. So if there is a bug, rest assured the community will quickly find and fix it.
Plus, there is a huge market for plugins and themes, giving you infinite options and the flexibility to determine how your business grows.
- Easy enough to use and maintain by yourself, even with a slight learning curve. You can find and easily install free themes that are highly customizable.
- The possibilities are endless. If you want a special function or feature, there is a plugin for that. You can do more in terms of design, functionality, SEO, speed, etc.
- While you can set up a basic website with a pre-designed theme, if you want something more you’ll need professional help.
- There is some maintenance involved as your WordPress installation, theme, and plugins will need frequent updates.
Squarespace is a closed off, essentially gated community. And the only people with access cards are Squarespace’s in-house development team. This is good in some ways as all of the content, themes, and plug-ins on Squarespace are created and managed by their team. They have fast, quick service and create beautiful websites.
But when it comes to options, you’re stuck within their box.
- Easy to use drag and drop interface with a small learning curve. They have several beautiful and clean designs to choose from.
- Low maintenance as the Squarespace team takes care of updates and security.
- Limited in functionality and possibilities of what you can do with your site. Not the best choice for long-term solutions. As your business grows you might not be able to make your site do what you want.
- You don’t actually own your website. Take a look at their terms and conditions page, and you’ll see that they can delete your website with no notice to you, or if your site crashes they may decide not to recover your content.
- You may run into little issues and glitches that you won’t be able to do anything about.
Having a website with Squarespace is like renting an apartment. You are stuck with the features it comes with, cannot do much customization, and can be evicted with little or no notice (plus they can keep all your stuff).
Having a WordPress website is like owning your own home. Yes, you are responsible for your own maintenance and upkeep, but you can do with it whatever your heart desires. You have the freedom to make your website anything you want it to be, and it’s all yours.
Ultimately, deciding between WordPress vs. Squarespace rests on what is best for you and your goals. Is this the first time on your own and you’re just starting to figure yourself out? If so, then maybe renting — Squarespace — is for you. If you are ready to commit to your dreams, want more stability and the options to expand, then owning your space — WordPress — is for you.
Squarespace is not a bad platform and it works for some people. To me it just keeps you stuck in a box, and I am all about spreading my wings and soaring. If you want to freely soar, WordPress is the way to go.
I love creating a visually stunning, superbly interactive, and all-about-you website. WordPress is the best tool I use to accomplish this. I only choose well vetted plug-ins and I create everything with you in mind.
By the end of our time together, you will be able to use every aspect of your website. And if you ever need help with anything, I’ll be there in a flash. Everything is intentionally designed for you, because you and your website are in this business together. As partners.
Let’s be creative together.