Does building a brand matter?
As an entrepreneur, you have several paths you can take when it comes to investing in your business. I’m not just talking about investing money, I’m also referring to the time and energy you choose to spend on the different aspects of your business.
In the beginning, branding usually isn’t a top priority. Many entrepreneurs start with a simple, and sometimes not fully thought-out brand, in order to just get out there. I did too.
You may DIY your logo or your website. You might skip them altogether. It becomes a journey of experimenting with a hodgepodge of ideas, all with the goal of building the business.
This is great at the beginning when you are still experimenting with your message, services, and audience. Especially since it may take a while before you see consistent profits. But, there comes a point when your focus needs to shift from building a business to building a brand.
See, a few things can happen when you ONLY focus on building your business:
- You’re constantly comparing yourself to other entrepreneurs who provide similar services, feeling disappointed you haven’t made it further ahead. To make it worse, looking at the things you “should be” doing leaves you feeling overwhelmed and stuck.
- Your brand just feels disconnected, messy, and hard to define. You’re not clear on your message or how to communicate your unique essence to your audience. There is a disconnect or a lack of understanding about the value you provide.
- You have so many ideas but you’re stuck in your head, unsure of how to ground and share your vision. There may be various elements to the work you do, making it feel almost impossible to turn it all into a cohesive experience. Since you’re feeling confused and unsure, you get stuck in inaction out of fear of doing it wrong.
- You’re hiding, not really putting yourself out there, because you think you’re not good enough. You don’t have the confidence to attract more clients or go for bigger opportunities.
- You’re constantly in hustle mode looking for your next clients instead of having loyal fans dying to work with you.
Don’t get me wrong – as soon as you start your own personal business you officially have a brand (unless you’re selling products under someone else’s brand).
A brand is simply how you present yourself (your visuals, your message, and your personality) combined with how others perceive you. But if you’re unclear on how you’re presenting yourself, that means your clients are unclear on how you can help them (or why they should like/trust/buy from you). It makes it harder to expand and grow your business.
“Part art, part science, ‘brand’ is the difference between a bottle of soda and a bottle of Coke, the intangible yet visceral impact of a person’s subjective experience with the product – the personal memories and cultural associations that orbit around it.”– Noah Hawley
Branding is intentionally blending your visual designs, personality and values, messaging and stories, tone of voice and language, and client experiences in a way that:
- Differentiates you from others in your field
- Communicates the meaning and the why behind your business
- Helps build recognition, credibility, and trust
- Connects you with ideal clients on an emotional level, encouraging them to become loyal advocates
- Shapes the perceived value of your offers, allowing you to leverage higher prices
People are not buying into what you offer, they are buying into who you are. When you take the time to define your brand’s presence:
- You know exactly how to show up and build a connection with your tribe (you’re crystal clear on who they are too). Your message and visual presence compels them to want to get to know you more.
- You know what makes you different and can position yourself as the best solution for your clients, standing out from others in your niche market.
- Others see you as a professional and authority in your field, which makes them more likely to trust you and offer you more opportunities.
The thing is, building your brand IS building your business.
Branding is a continuous process. But one which you don’t have to undertake alone. If you’re hearing the call to shift from building a business to building a brand, I can help. I’m not your typical brand strategist and designer. With the right mix of strategy and intuition, I work my own unique flavor of magic to help you find and express yours.
Come play with me in the Rebirth Mastermind. This group experience is designed to help you build a magnetic, sacred brand using energy and strategy. It’s an initiation into your next evolution — on a personal, business, and spiritual level.